Nocardial Vertebral Osteomyelitis and Epidural Abscess of Thoracic Spine in an Immunocompromised Patient
Purpose and Significance of Study: This is a report of successful outcome in a challenging case of nocardial vertebral osteomyelitis and epidural abscess of thoracic spine in an immunocompromised patient with Evans syndrome.
Fit with Scope of Journal: The manuscript is of high interest for the journal American Journal of Surgical Case Reports.
The Discussion explains the challenges in treating the patient in the present case clearly. It also offers useful suggestions with respect to the treatment regimen.
o The manuscript contains some minor errors (already corrected in the galley proof, except the highlighted one, which requires the author’s attention), which are listed below –
· All the scientific names, e.g., Nocardia, Nocardia brasiliensis, Staphylococcus aureus, Pneumocystis, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and Burkholderia pseudomallei must be in italics.
· In the 7th sentence of the Abstract, “;” after “abscess” must be removed, “by intravenous of Bactrim” must be replaced with “with intravenous Bactrim”, and “continue” must be replaced with “continued”.
· In the 4th sentence of the Discussion, “you suspect nocardiosis” must be replaced with “nocardiosis is suspected”.
· In the 6th sentence of the Discussion, “Patient” must be replaced with “Patients”, and the words “so the infectious agent was subacute process with fungal and bacterial infection” must be rephrased as they do not make clear sense.
· In the 11th sentence of the Discussion, “of” must be inserted after “biopsy”, “, so as” after “spine” must be removed, “is by” after “abscess” must be replaced with “being”, and “elucidated” must be replaced with “elucidating”.
· The 12th sentence of the Discussion must be rephrased as “The treatment of choice for the infection is most commonly Bactrim (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX))”.
Department of Orthopedics, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Songkhla, Thailand
Received: Wed 17, Jun 2020
Accepted: Thu 02, Jul 2020
Published: Wed 08, Jul 2020
© 2019 Wongthawat Liawrungrueang. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited. Hosting by Science Repository. All rights reserved.