COVID-19 Pandemic Morbidity and Mortality Caused to Non-COVID Spine Inpatients at a Level One Trauma Centre: Case Report
Purpose and Significance of Study: This report comprises two cases of inpatients requiring non-elective spine surgery, which were interrupted owing to the COVID-19 pandemic. It also lays out useful suggestions on the management of similar situations amidst the pandemic.
Fit with Scope of Journal: The manuscript is of high interest for the journal American Journal of Surgical Case Reports.
The manuscript is well-written. A few very minor errors (already corrected in the galley proof) are listed below –
· A common error is omission or overuse of “,”, e.g., omission after “China” in the 1st sentence of Background or after “uneventfully” in the 9th sentence of Case presentation 1, and overuse after “fracture” in the 1st sentence of Case presentation 2, after “exposure” in the 2nd sentence of the 1st paragraph in the Discussion.
In the Abstract –
Under Case presentation –
· “new onset” must be hyphenated.
In the Case presentation 1 –
· In the 1st sentence, “less than 24-hr history” must be replaced with “less-than-24-hour history”.
· In the 3rd sentence, “the” must be inserted before “ASIA”.
In the Discussion –
In the 2nd paragraph –
· In the 1st sentence, “extremities” must be replaced with “lower extremity”.
In the 4th paragraph –
· In the 5th sentence, “the” must be inserted before “hospital”, and “standard of care” must be put within “”.
· In the last sentence, “an” before “open” must be removed.
In the Conclusion –
· In the last sentence, “a” before “late” must be removed.
Humaid Al Farii
Department of Orthopaedic Oncology, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Received: Wed 29, Apr 2020
Accepted: Thu 14, May 2020
Published: Fri 22, May 2020
© 2019 Humaid Al Farii. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited. Hosting by Science Repository. All rights reserved.