Efficacy Analysis of Splint Combined with PRP Injection in the Treatment of Temporomandibular Joint Osteoarthritis
A B S T R A C T
Objective: To investigate the effect of splint combined with PRP injection in the treatment of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis.
Methods: Ninety-three patients with temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis were retrospectively analysed. They were divided into three groups according to different treatment methods: splint group, PRP group, and splint + PRP group. All patients were asked to have VAS scores before and 6 months after treatment and the maximum comfortable mouth opening was recorded either. All data were analysed by R×C test, and P＜0.05 indicated statistically significant differences.
Results: The maximum comfortable opening was significantly improved, and the VAS scores were decreased (P < 0.05).
Conclusion: The treatment of splint+PRP is superior to the treatment of single splint or single PRP.
PRP, VAS, temporomandibular joint, osteoarthritis, splint
Get access to the full version of this article.
Article TypeResearch Article
Publication historyReceived: Mon 21, Mar 2022
Accepted: Tue 12, Apr 2022
Published: Mon 25, Apr 2022
Copyright© 2021 Qing Zhou. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited. Hosting by Science Repository.
Corresponding AuthorQing Zhou
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School and Hospital of Stomatology, China Medical University, Liaoning Provincial Key Laboratory of Oral Diseases, PR China
Figures & Tables
Get access to the full version of this article.
1. Manfredini D, Guarda-Nardini L, Winocur E, Piccotti F, Ahlberg J et al. (2011) Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders: a systematic review of axis I epidemiologic findings. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 112: 453-462. [Crossref]
2. Wang XD, Zhang JN, Gan YH, Zhou YH (2015) Current understanding of pathogenesis and treatment of TMJ osteoarthritis. J Dent Res 94: 666-673. [Crossref]
3. L SS, X LL, Fan S, Lu SJ, Jin L et al. (2022) Effect of platelet-rich plasma injection combined with individualised comprehensive physical therapy on temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis: A prospective cohort study. J Oral Rehabil 49: 150-159. [Crossref]
4. Eppley BL, Woodell JE, Higgins J (2004) Platelet quantification and growth factor analysis from platelet-rich plasma: implications for wound healing. Plast Reconstr Surg 114: 1502-1508. [Crossref]
5. Zhu Y, Yuan M, Meng HY, Wang AY, Guo QY et al. (2013) Basic science and clinical application of platelet-rich plasma for cartilage defects and osteoarthritis: a review. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 21: 1627-1637. [Crossref]
6. Dylina TJ (2001) A common-sense approach to splint therapy. J Prosthet Dent 86: 539-545. [Crossref]
7. Ouanounou A, Goldberg M, Haas DA (2017) Pharmacotherapy in Temporomandibular Disorders: A Review. J Can Dent Assoc 83: h7. [Crossref]
8. Gagé J, Gallucci A, Arnaud M, Chossegros C, Foletti JM (2016) [Temporomandibular joint arthropathy in situ steroid injection]. Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac Chir Orale 117: 298-301. [Crossref]
9. Habib GS, Saliba W, Nashashibi M (2010) Local effects of intra-articular corticosteroids. Clin Rheumatol 29: 347-356. [Crossref]
10. Alsousou J, Thompson M, Harrison P, Willett K, Franklin S (2015) Effect of platelet-rich plasma on healing tissues in acute ruptured Achilles tendon: a human immunohistochemistry study. Lancet 385: S19. [Crossref]
11. Eppley BL, Woodell JE, Higgins J (2004) Platelet quantification and growth factor analysis from platelet-rich plasma: implications for wound healing. Plast Reconstr Surg 114: 1502-1508. [Crossref]
12. Chandra L, Goyal M, Srivastava D (2021) Minimally invasive intraarticular platelet rich plasma injection for refractory temporomandibular joint dysfunction syndrome in comparison to arthrocentesis. J Family Med Prim Care 10: 254-258. [Crossref]
13. Yuce E, Komerik N (2020) Comparison of the Efficiacy of Intra-Articular Injection of Liquid Platelet-Rich Fibrin and Hyaluronic Acid After in Conjunction With Arthrocentesis for the Treatment of Internal Temporomandibular Joint Derangements. J Craniofac Surg 31: 1870-1874. [Crossref]
14. Kiliç SC, Güngörmüş M (2016) Is arthrocentesis plus platelet-rich plasma superior to arthrocentesis plus hyaluronic acid for the treatment of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis: a randomized clinical trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45: 1538-1544. [Crossref]
15. Wang W, Jin L, Zhao X, Li Z, Han W (2021) Current status and influencing factors of nursing interruption events. Am J Manag Care 27: e188-e194. [Crossref]
16. Goes AC, Santos MA, de Siqueira Oliveira, de Souza Oliveira J, Roriz AKC et al. (2021) The use of bioelectrical impedance vector analysis for a nutritional evaluation of older adults in the community. Exp Gerontol 147: 111276. [Crossref]